Monday, March 14, 2011

Welcome, welcome, welcome...

Okay, well, new season, new blog. Gone is the old blog, the funny one, the desperate "class clown" attempt to garner attention by being funny. No one cared, no one came...

So, at the behest of my sister, I'm starting a craft blog. They seem to be pretty popular these days, and I certainly enjoy crafting. Making things, re-making things - fun things, beautiful things, all sorts of things. But, as my projects don't always work out as planned, sometimes it's just junk. Hence the name CRAFT-JUNK.

So I'll share them all, the crafty - and the junk. There will probably end up being more junk here than craft, but we'll see.

My sister also has a craft blog and she has started doing these weekly crafting challenges - which you should ALL be signing up for. Go. Do it now. You won't regret it. I promise. Her blog is: http://www.amberscraftsandstuff.com/

Hopefully the link will work, I've tried it 4 times now... I totally fail at HTML, apparently.

I'm part of her "design team". What that means exactly, I'm not quite sure, but I'm supposed to do sort of a "sample" craft for each of her challenges - to show people the general theme - and give some ideas.

Her first challenge is this week (due date 3/16) and it's called STASHBUSTER - you pull out all the stuff you've had stashed away and never really found a use for and make something out of it.

Well, my stash was felt. Not the good, wool kind, the cheap polyester 4 sheets for a dollar junk from Hobby Lobby/Michaels. I had many good intentions for this felt, little stuffed, embroidered doo-hickeys and whatnot. Then I discovered something tragic. I couldn't embroider. I know...shocking, right??? So, the felt got stashed away in a box - doing nothing. Until this weekend, when I dutifully pulled it out and went about creating something. This is what I came up with.



(Yes, I'm a terrible photographer - really terrible - please forgive).


Now, since I'm new at this whole craft blog thing, there aren't any before/during/after type pics--just the final product. Hopefully I'll get better at this process and eventually even be able to do tutorials. (For your sakes, I might even take a photography class, so the pictures won't burn out your retinas.)

But the basic premise of this wreath is simple. Styrofoam wreath form. Wrap with yarn. Make flowers out of felt, hot glue them on and voila! A nice, springy wreath that will hopefully take me through summer into fall. Whereupon I can show you the leaf wreath I made last year (a Dollar Store craft) which I love, but is only up for a short time, because I'm one of those awful people who starts decorating for Christmas waaaay too early.

And, yes, there are SEVERAL Christmas wreaths that I've crafted which I will be happy to show all of you.

Gee, that kinda sounds like I'm obsessed with wreaths. Maybe I am. Maybe I'm not. (Okay, I totally am).

Stay tuned this afternoon, when there will be another post on the thrift store lamp I re-made on Sunday. I'm so happy with how it turned out - and how cheap it ended up being (less than 10 bucks!). It turned out so well, I giggle a little every time I look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment